“90,000 Jews gather for the Siyum HaShas at MetLife Stadium on August 1, 2012 to celebrate their completion of cyclical reading of the Talmud.”
Would you like a taster of Talmud?
1. Yebamoth 57b: A girl who is three years of age and one day may be betrothed by cohabitation; if a levir cohabited with her, he has thereby acquired her She is deemed to be his legal wife.
2. Yebamoth 60a: There was a certain town in the Land of Israel the legitimacy of whose inhabitants was disputed, and Rabbi sent R. Romanos who conducted an enquiry and found in it the daughter of a proselyte who was under the age of three years and one day, and Rabbi declared her eligible to live with a priest.
3. Yebamoth 60b: R. Simeon b. Yohai stated: A proselyte who is under the age of three years and one day is permitted to marry a priest,13 for it is said, But all the women children that have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves, and Phinehas surely was with them. And the Rabbis?
4. Yebamoth 60b: Consequently21 it must be said that Scripture speaks of one who is fit[22 ] I.e., one who had attained the age of three years and one day.
5. Sanhedrin 55b: A maiden aged three years and a day may be acquired in marriage by coition, and if her deceased husband’s brother cohabits with her, she becomes his.
6. Kethuboth 11b: When a grown-up man has intercourse with a little girl it is nothing, for when the girl is less than this,6 it is as if one puts the finger into the eye.
7. Sanhedrin 54b footnote 26: Lev. XVIII, 22. Thus the point of comparison is the sexual matureness of woman, which is reached at the age of three.
8. Sanhedrin 69a: A maiden aged three years and a day may be acquired in marriage by coition, and if her deceased husband’s brother cohabited with her, she becomes his.
9. Yebamoth 12b: From the age of eleven years and one day until the age of twelve years and one day. One who is under,16 or over this age17 must carry on her marital intercourse in the usual manner. .