Russian Ministry of Defense stated today that neither Russian nor Syrian aircrafts had conducted airstrikes on an aid convoy while en route to the northern city of Aleppo.
“Russian and Syrian warplanes did not carry out any airstrikes on a humanitarian aid convoy in the southwest of Aleppo,” Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said in a statement Tuesday.
The Russian MoD added that the exact location of the convoy is known only by militant groups which control the area.
“There are no shell holes, cars, bodies are not damaged and there are no construction faults from the bust wave,” the Ministry highlighted.
According to the Russian Center for Reconciliation, Russian forces operation in Syria used to accompany – to a certain point – the convoy because its route passed through territory controlled by the rebels.
The Russian side did not monitor the convoy after this and its movements were only known by the militants who were in control of the area,” Konashenkov added.
In the same context, a Syrian military source told the state-run news agency SANA that all reports about Syrian airstrikes on the aid convoy en route to Aleppo are completely false.
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent said that an aid worker, identified as Omar Barakat, has been killed in the airstrikes along with at least 20 civilians.
Tuesday, 20 September 2016 14:07
Aleppo/Moscow – A military source refuted the reports circulated by malicious media outlets about the Syrian Arab Army targeting a humanitarian aid convoy in Aleppo countryside, according to SANA.
The source told SANA that there’s no truth to the rumors circulated during the past few hours by some media outlets about the Syrian Arab Army targeting a humanitarian aid convoy in Orkem village in Aleppo’s northern countryside.
Russian Defense Ministry: Russian and Syrian air forces did not target any humanitarian aid convoys in Aleppo
Spokesman for the Russian Defense Ministry Igor Konashenkov asserted that neither the Russian Aerospace Forces nor the Syrian Air Force targeted any UN humanitarian aid convoys southwest of Aleppo.
Konashenkov stressed that video recordings don’t show any indication that the humanitarian convoy in question was hit by shells.
He also said that terrorists from Jabhat al-Nusra carried out a massive attack with heavy support from artillery and rocket launchers in the direction of where the convoy was on Monday at 19:00 Moscow time, adding that the Ministry studied carefully the video published by so-called “activisits” and it showed no sign of any of the convoy’s trucks being hit by military-grade munitions, nor were any craters or signs of damage to the trucks’ structures visible as would be the case had they been struck by air-to-surface explosives.
Konashenkov said that all the video showed was a fire that broke out at the same time as the armed groups were attacking Aleppo, noting that the convoy was passing through an area where armed groups are present, and the Russian Reconciliation Center in Hmeimeem was monitoring it using drones, and at 13:40 Moscow time the convoy arrived successfully at its destination and the Center ceased monitoring it since then, adding that militants in the area were the only side that knew where the convoy was present after that.
- Tens of families in Aleppo escape criminality of terrorists in the eastern neighborhoods
- Syrian army, Quds Brigade advances near Handarat Camp
- Army kills more terrorists, destroys their equipment in different areas across the country
- United Nations suspends aid convoys to Syria
- ISIS rapidly recapturing villages from Turkey-backed militants in northern Syria