Mohammad bin Salman’s Days Are Numbered: The Times

September 14, 2018

MBS

“Hopes that the Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman would be a reformer who could heal the region have come to nothing,” wrote Michael Burleigh in his article published by the UK newspaper The Times.

“First came the hype, with millions spread around like muck by western PR companies and lobbyists to trumpet Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s world tour last March. He was the coming Saudi strongman, you will recall, all at the age of 32.”

The writer went on to say that six months on, the realities of his soaring ascent look more uncertain, with even his father, King Salman, beginning to show signs of doubt, adding that all the media campaign launched to highlight bin Salman’s alleged economic reforms does not match the facts.

Burleigh pointed out that the Saudi war on Yemen costs $5-6 billion, adding that it has been involving KSA in a quagmire for three years.

The writer also stressed that bin Salma’s attempt to impose isolation on Qatar has failed, noting that this policy led to the destruction of the Gulf Cooperation Council in favor of the duo, Saudi and Emirates.

The slogan of modernization raised by bin Salman has almost faded away in light of the ongoing oppression against the Shia Muslims in the east of the country.

Source: The Times

Related Videos

Related News

 

Advertisements

Saudi Royal: King, Heir Apparent Responsible for Yemen War

Saudi Royal: King, Heir Apparent Responsible for Yemen War

Local Editor

Saudi prince has told protesters in Britain’s capital that the wider royal family ought not to be blamed for what is happening in the region, pointing the finger instead at the “king and his heir apparent”.

The comments can be heard in a video that captured an encounter outside an unnamed London location between Prince Ahmed bin Abdelaziz – one of the few remaining sons of the founder of Saudi Arabia – and a group of activists chanting slogans such “down, down, the Al Saud” and “criminal family Al Saud”.

In the footage, which was posted on social media earlier this week, the prince approaches the activists and answers some of their questions on the situation in Yemen and Bahrain.

“There are specific people that are responsible. Don’t blame the entire family,” the prince said. “In Yemen and elsewhere, our hope is that the war ends today before tomorrow.”

Asked who these individuals were, the prince said it “was the king and his heir apparent”, in reference to Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, also known as MBS.

The conflict in Yemen has escalated dramatically since March 2015, when Saudi-led forces launched a military aggression.

Campaigners have accused MBS, who also serves as defense minister, of being the “chief architect” of the Yemen war, which has led to what the United Nations describes as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.

Source: News Agencies, Edited by website team

Related Videos

Related Articles

The Hour When Children Die: What Is Going on in Yemen?

The Hour When Children Die: What Is Going on in Yemen?

EDITOR’S CHOICE | 17.08.2018

The Hour When Children Die: What Is Going on in Yemen?

Vijay PRASHAD

A busload of young boys are on a field trip. They are excited – their summer session of school is over, and this is to be the outing to celebrate. The boys jostle on the bus. It is noisy. One of them covers his ears. They are all laughing.

One of their friends is taking a video (which will later be shown on Yemen’s al-Massira television). The video shows the universal joy of being an adolescent, of being filled with anticipation at the field trip.

Along the way, the bus stops at a crowded market in the town of Dahyan, in the Saada governorate in Yemen’s north, on the border with Saudi Arabia. This governorate, or province, is largely in support of the Ansarullah insurgency and is the center of regular aerial bombings by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. The teachers with the young boys make the stop to pick up supplies for the trip: snacks and water. The excitement on the bus does not abate.

It is just then, in this crowded market, that Saudi aircraft fire on the bus. It is a direct strike, according to witnesses.

The Red Cross now says that 50 children died in the strike (11 adults were killed). Among the 79 wounded, 56 are children – many fighting for their lives.

report released by the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)  this year suggested that this kind of violence is not unusual. Five children have been killed or injured in Yemen each day since the start of the Saudi-UAE war on the rebel-held areas of that country in March 2015.

The numbers are shocking, but also numbing – nearly every child in those parts of Yemen (11 million of them) needs humanitarian assistance, with millions of children acutely malnourished, with no safe drinking water or sanitation, with few schools, with cholera and acute diarrhea as normal features of life and with regular bombings and shootings around them.

Funerals in places of war and occupation are not sober affairs. They are heightened by the anger at the manner of death, but more so they are political rallies of great emotion.

The children’s bodies arrived in cars wrapped in green. The coffins, wooden boxes, had a picture of each child on them. They were carried along the road to a simple graveyard. Their coffins were carried by boys from the Yemeni Scouts and Guides Association, their motto on their shirts reading kun musta’idan, or “be prepared.”

Bomb strikes are routine; Saudi and Emirati planes might have struck this funeral as they did in 2016, when they killed about 155 people in the al-Kubra Hall in Sanaa. Chants against Saudi Arabia rent the air. They were mingled with chants against the United States. No one in Yemen is unaware of the US complicity in this war.

‘War can’t be a clean operation’

Remorse is not forthcoming from either Saudi Arabia or the United Arab Emirates. Both governments insist that the raid was “legitimate” and that “war can’t be a clean operation unfortunately” (as UAE Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash put it in Dubai). The Saudis, like the Israeli government when it arrests and kills children, said it was the Yemenis who were “responsible for recruiting and training young children.”

There is barely remorse in the United States, from which the weapons of death go to Saudi Arabia and the UAE. It was a US-made plane that fired US-made bombs on these Yemeni children. Yemeni journalist Nasser Arrabyee took a picture of part of the 500-pound (227-kilogram) Mark 82 bomb used to kill the children.

This bomb was made by General Dynamics at its plant in Garland, Texas. In 2017, bombs from this factory made their way to resupply the arsenal of Saudi Arabia, whose free-fall bombs were getting low as a result of the war on Yemen. General Dynamics made millions of dollars on this sale. This same type of bomb was used in the Saudi strike on the funeral in Sanaa in 2016. US weapons firms have made hundreds of billions of dollars selling weaponry to Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

US Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis said he had sent a three-star general to lead an internal investigation into “what happened.”

But what happened is well known and has been well known for a very long time.

Last November, a 30-year veteran of the US Central Intelligence Agency, Bruce Riedel, described Saudi Arabia’s war on Yemen as a “quagmire.” He said it had become the “worst humanitarian catastrophe in the world” and that if the Saudi blockade continued, “50,000 children could die in Yemen.”

A year before that, Riedel pointed his finger directly at Washington and London. In April 2016, he said frankly, “If the United States of America and the United Kingdom tonight told King Salman [of Saudi Arabia] that this war [on Yemen] has to end, it would end tomorrow, because the Royal Saudi Air Force cannot operate without American and British support.”

In other words, any war crime committed in Yemen by the Saudis and the Emiratis is a war crime committed by the governments in London and Washington, which continue to supply these monarchies with billions of dollars’ worth of deadly weaponry that can be used to kill children on a school trip.

Exit from this war?

On September 6, the various parties to this war will go to Geneva to try to restart impossible talks. The contending Yemeni parties have said they will come to the table. It is obvious that this war is seen by Saudi Arabia and the UAE as a way to weaken Iran, although Iran’s actual role in Yemen is dubious. Nonetheless, Iran has said it awaits an invitation from the UN to come to Geneva. It would like to hold face-to-face talks with its adversaries, with the UN as arbiter.

Iran has submitted a four-point plan to give the talks some heft, including an end to the aerial bombardments and an immediate ceasefire. But there is no stomach in Saudi Arabia to take Iran’s offer seriously.

In a recent article, Riedel says this war in Yemen is the “signature foreign-policy initiative” of King Salman and his son, Crown Prince and Defense Minister Mohammed bin Salman. “The crown prince,” Riedel writes bluntly, “has blemished his reputation by the reckless decision to intervene in Yemen and the humanitarian catastrophe it created.”

It is unlikely that Saudi Arabia, absent serious external pressure, will stop this war. The integrity of the current king and his son – and in many ways the monarchy itself – is enveloped in this war.

Pressure will not come from the US government. It is happy enough to see its weapons dealers make enormous profits – the kind of “Made in America” that pleases President Donald Trump. In the United Nations Security Council, the US pressured the members not to demand an independent inquiry. All that was asked for was a “credible” investigation. That means there will be no real investigation, as there was none for the Sanaa funeral bombing in 2016.

Staff members at UNICEF, meanwhile, have been heartbroken. The children had UNICEF backpacks, part of the aid that keeps the country from total breakdown. “There’s obviously a war on children,” said Juliette Touma of UNICEF.

This is the hour when children die. This is the hour when adults fail them, the hour of bombings and impossible negotiations.

atimes.com

Yemeni Naval Force Targets Saudi Warship off Western Coast: Al Masirah TV

Yemeni Naval Force Targets Saudi Warship off Western Coast

July 25, 2018

rocket warship

Yemen’s naval force hit on Wednesday a Saudi warship off the western coast, Al-Massirah news network reported.

The Yemeni TV channel quoted military sources as saying that the “Naval force in the Yemeni Army hit Saudi warship Al-Dammam of the western coast.”

The Saudi-led aggression, which has been launching brutal aggression against the impoverished Arab country since March 2015, did not report the Yemeni retaliatory attack.

“Al-Dammam” is the most developed Saudi warships to be hit by the Yemeni naval force, Al-Massirah reported, adding that the warship belongs to the Saudi Royal Navy.

Targeting the Saudi warship on Wednesday comes after Yemen’s Naval Force carried out 23 qualitative operations against Emirati forces in Mokha port, in which heavy losses were inflicted upon the aggression forces.

Earlier last month an Emirati ship was hit by two Yemen rockets in a failed naval drop attempt.

Yemen has been since March 2015 under brutal aggression by Saudi-led Coalition, in a bid to restore control to fugitive president Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi who is Riyadh’s ally.

Tens of thousands of people have been killed and injured in the strikes launched by the coalition, with the vast majority of them are civilians.

The coalition, which includes in addition to Saudi Arabia and UAE: Bahrain, Egypt, Morocco, Jordan, Sudan and Kuwait, has been also imposing a harsh blockade against Yemenis.

Source: Al-Massirah

Related Videos

Related Articles

Ansarullah Leader: Saudi, UAE pushing US projects in ME

Local Editor

The leader of Yemen’s Ansarullah revolutionary movement Sayyed Abdul Malik Badreddine al-Houthi said Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates are going to great lengths to further the agenda of the US administration in the Middle East and please their masters.

Addressing his supporters via a televised speech broadcast from the Yemeni capital city of Sana’a on Friday afternoon, Sayyed al-Houthi stated that the Riyadh and Abu Dhabi regimes are struggling with mounting economic crises as they are pouring huge sums of money into the pockets of US statesmen.

He warned that the US and “Israel” are doing their best in order to bring all aspects of Yemenis’ lives under their control, stressing that utter humiliation awaits the Yemeni nation in case it cedes to arrogant powers’ plots.

“Enemies are trying to divert our nation from the right path. They are seeking to transform Yemen into a society beset with problems, diseases and ethical issues,” he pointed out.

He underlined that no Muslim society would become subservient to the US and the Tel Aviv regimes unless it distances from Islamic teachings and ethics.

Al-Houthi went on to say that Saudi Arabia and the UAE are following in the footsteps of the US and “Israel” concerning conspiracies against Islam.

“Yemen is under incessant attack by both the Saudi-led bombardment campaign and propaganda war. We need to foster awareness among strata of the Yemeni society, and promote the culture of Quran,” he commented.

Al-Houthi also noted that Washington and the Tel Aviv tend to brand anyone who stands up against their wishes as “rebel.”

“Enemies are targeting all aspects of our lives. We must firmly resist their all-out aggression.  They want us to recognize a despotic regime installed by the US and “Israel.” The primary goal of the Saudi-led war on Yemen is to control us. Our only choice is to fight off aggressors,” he said.

He further emphasized that the Yemeni nation is entitled to freedom and independence, and does not accept the domination and hegemony of any party.

“Aggressors are expending all their efforts to overrun the western coastal province of al-Hudaydah, but are confronted with stiff popular resistance. They have dismally failed in their attacks. We need to recruit more fighters in a bid to turn al-Hudaydah into a graveyard of enemies,” al-Houthi concluded.

Source: News Agencies, Edited by website team

Related Videos

Related News

HOUTHIS TARGET FOUR SAUDI AIRPORTS WITH “BALLISTIC MISSILES”, SAUDI PATRIOT SYSTEMS FAIL (VIDEOS)

South Front

On March 25, the Yemeni Missiles Force, that’s allied to the Houthis, announced in an official statement that it had targeted the King Khalid international airport in the Saudi capita of Riyadh with a Burkan 2H medium-range ballistic missile.

The Abha regional airport in the southwestern province of Asir was also targeted by a Qaher 2M ballistic missile of the Yemeni Missiles Force, according to the official statement.

Additionally. the Yemeni Missiles Force shelled the airports of Najran and Jizan provinces in southern Saudi Arabia with several Bader-1 rockets. The is type of artillery rockets was first unveiled on March 22.

Meanwhile, the Saudi-led coalition announced that its air defenses had successfully intercepted a ballistic missile over the city of Riyadh.

However, a video published by locals from Riyadh showed that one of the US-made Patriot missiles, which had been launched to intercept the Houthis’ missile, had crashed in a civilian area. Saudi sources reported that several civilians were injured in the incident.

The coalition didn’t mention anything about the remaining missiles that had targeted the provinces of Asir, Jizan and Najran. However, Saudi sources reported that many air defense missiles had been launched in these provinces.

The Yemeni Missiles Force said in its official statement that the missile strike had been carried out to commemorate the third anniversary of the Saudi attack on Yemen. Earlier, the Houthis’ leader Abdul-Malik Badreddin al-Houthi promised during a televised speech that the Yemeni Missiles Force will witness significant progress this year.

Houthi missiles kill 1 person in Saudi capital

BEIRUT, LEBANON (7:00 A.M.) – Last night, the Houthi forces unleashed a flurry of missiles into Saudi Arabia, targeting several airports and military installations near the Kingdom’s capital city.

According to the Saudi authorities, their air defense managed to shoot down seven of the Houthi missiles.

 However, the fragments of one Houthi missile landed inside Riyadh, killing one person and wounding two others.

“With credit to the Saudi Royal Air Defense Forces,  all seven ballistic missiles were intercepted and destroyed. According to preliminary information, the interception resulted in fragments raining on a few residential neighborhoods and, at the issuance of this statement, the loss of life of an Egyptian resident, in addition to material damage to civilian objects-the details of which will shortly be announced by the relevant authorities,” according to Col. Turki Al Maliki, spokesperson for the Saudi Coalition forces.

Related Videoes

Related News

Breaking: Houthi forces claim second Saudi warplane shot down over Yemen

BEIRUT, LEBANON (8:30 A.M.) – The Houthi forces claimed their air defense units downed another Saudi jet over the Sana’a countryside this morning.

According to a report released by Saba News Agency, the Saudi Coalition’s F-15 was bombing the Yemeni capital when the Houthi forces shot down the warplane.

 

The Saudi Coalition has not reported any warplane being downed over Yemen.

 

If this report proves true, this will be the second Coalition warplane that has crashed in Yemen in the last 48 hours.

BEIRUT, LEBANON (2:45 P.M.) – Earlier today, the Houthi forces claimed that their air defense units downed a Saudi Coalition warplane as it was bombing the eastern countryside of Sana’a.

At the time of the crash, there was no confirmation from the Saudi Coalition regarding the fate of their warplane.

 

While the Saudi Coalition did confirm the loss of their aircraft, they did not specify the reason for the crash.

 

As a result of today’s crash, the Saudi Coalition has now lost two warplanes in the last 48 hours in northern Yemen.

HOUTHIS RELEASED VIDEO SHOWING MOMENT WHEN SAUDI-LED COALITION F-15 WAS HIT BY SURFATE-TO-AIR MISSILE

The Yemeni TV channel Al Masirah released a video showing the moment when the Houthis’ surface-to-air missile hit a F-15 warplane of the Saudi-led coalition over the Yemeni capital of Sanaa.

According to Al Masirah, the F-15 was downed on January 7 just few hours after the Houthis shot downed another Saudi-led coalition warplane Panavia Tornado multirole – over the area of Kitaf wa al-Boqe’e district in the province of Sa’ada.

Related Videos

Related Articles

%d bloggers like this: