Gibraltar releases Iran-operated tanker despite US pressure

Press TV

Thu Aug 15, 2019 02:40PM [Updated: Thu Aug 15, 2019 04:35PM ]

This file photo taken on July 20, 2019, shows Gibraltar defense police officers guarding the Iranian-operated oil tanker Grace 1 as it sits anchored after being seized last month by British Royal Marines off the coast of Gibraltar, southern Spain. (Photo by Reuters)

This file photo taken on July 20, 2019, shows Gibraltar defense police officers guarding the Iranian-operated oil tanker Grace 1 as it sits anchored after being seized last month by British Royal Marines off the coast of Gibraltar, southern Spain. (Photo by Reuters)

Gibraltar’s government has released an Iranian-operated supertanker, which was seized by British marines in the Strait of Gibraltar on July 4, despite pressure from the United States for the vessel’s continued detainment.

“Authorities in Gibraltar have released the Iranian supertanker Grace 1, which was seized on July 4 on suspicion it was shipping 2.1 million barrels of crude oil to Syria in breach of EU sanctions,” Reuters quoted the Gibraltar Chronicle as reporting on Thursday.

According to the report, the chief justice of Gibraltar’s supreme court, Anthony Dudley, said there was no US application currently before the court.

Chief Justice Anthony Dudley said that since Iran had guaranteed in writing that the destination of the Grace 1 would not be a country “subject to European Union sanctions… there are no longer reasonable grounds to suspect that the detention of the Vessel is required.”

Spain’s Foreign Ministry reported after the incident that the UK had seized the vessel at the request of the US, which has been trying to trouble Iran’s international oil vessels as part of its campaign of economic pressure against the Islamic Republic.

Gibraltar Chronicle

@GibChronicle

Authorities in have released the Iranian supertanker Grace 1, which was seized on July 4 on suspicion it was shipping 2.1m barrels of crude oil to Syria in breach of EU sanctions.

244 people are talking about this

Earlier on Thursday, Gibraltar said that the US had applied to seize the Iranian-operated oil tanker after British media reported that the vessel’s release was imminent following a set of diplomatic exchanges between Tehran and London.

“The US Department of Justice has applied to seize the Grace 1 on a number of allegations which are now being considered,” the Gibraltar government said in a statement.

It added that the “matter will return to the Supreme Court of Gibraltar at 4 p.m. (1400 GMT) today.”

A diplomatic dispute broke out between Iran and the UK on July 4, when Britain’s naval forces unlawfully seized Grace 1 and its cargo of 2.1 million barrels of oil in the Strait of Gibraltar under the pretext that the supertanker had been suspected of carrying crude to Syria in violation of the European Union’s unilateral sanctions against the Arab country.

However, reports show the confiscation took place upon a call by the US.

Tehran rejected London’s claim that the tanker was heading to Syria, slamming the seizure as “maritime piracy.”

Iran’s Ports and Maritime Organization said Tuesday that Britain was expected to soon free Grace 1, after the two sides exchanged certain documents to pave the way for the supertanker’s release.

Iran’s FM: Trump’s piracy attempt indicates his contempt for law

Soon after the report emerged about the release of the Iranian-operated tanker, Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif took to Twitter noting that the seizure of the tanker proved the Trump administration’s contempt for the law.

“This piracy attempt is indicative of Trump admin’s contempt for the law,” Iran’s top diplomat said.

Javad Zarif

@JZarif

Having failed to accomplish its objectives through its —including depriving cancer patients of medicine— the US attempted to abuse the legal system to steal our property on the high seas.

This piracy attempt is indicative of Trump admin’s contempt for the law.

489 people are talking about this
Zarif added that the US effort to prevent release of the Iranian tanker was aimed at abusing “the legal system to steal our property on the high seas.”

He said this vain attempt followed the US failure in achieving its anti-Iranian goals through economic terrorism.

‘US faced humiliating defeat in its effort to prevent tanker’s release’

Following the decision by the Gibraltar court, Iran’s Ambassador to UK Hamid Baeidinejad said in a tweet on his official Twitter page that the decision by the officials of Gibraltar put an end to 40 days of illegal seizure of the tanker, which carries the Iranian oil.

Hamid Baeidinejad@baeidinejad

لحظاتی پیش با تصمیم مقامات جبل الطارق و تایید دادگاه، نفتکش حامل نفت ایران از توقیف غیرقانونی آزاد گردید.کشورمان درتمامی۴۰ روز گذشته بامشارکت نهادهای ذیربط داخلی تحت مدیریت وزارت خارجه گفتگوهای مستمری در سطح سیاسی،حقوقی و فنی با طرف انگلیسی برای رفع این اقدام غیرقانونی انجام داد.

86 people are talking about this
“Up to the last minute, the United States tried in vain to prevent the release of the tanker, but was faced with a humiliating defeat,” Iran’s UK envoy added.

Hamid Baeidinejad@baeidinejad

آمریکا با تلاشهای مذبوحانه ی آخرین لحظه ی خود قصد داشت مانع رفع توقیف نفتکش شود که با شکست تحقیرآمیزی مواجه شد.
با تلاشهای روزهای گذشته تمام مقدمات و تمهیدات فنی لازم برای حرکت نفتکش به دریای آزاد نیز تامین شده است و کشتی بزودی منطقه ی جبل الطارق را ترک خواهد نمود.

43 people are talking about this
Baeidinejad stated that all preliminary steps have been taken to ensure the tanker’s movement toward free waters and “the vessel will soon leave the Gibraltar region.”
Related Vidoes

Related News

Advertisements

No, Israel Did Not Attack Iranian Targets In Iraq

 

By Moon Of Alabama

August 01, 2019 “Information Clearing House” – Israeli newspaper repeat a report which claims that Israeli planes hit Iranian targets in Iraq.

From the last one:

The IAF used its F-35i stealth fighter jets to hit two Iraqi bases that were used by Iranian forces and proxies and for storing ballistic missiles, the London-based Saudi daily Asharq Al-Awsat reported on Tuesday.

Asharq Al-Awsat is owned by Faisal bin Salman, a member of the Saudi ruling clan. It is – like other Arab papers – often used to launder Israeli disinformation and propaganda that is then repeated in the Israeli press.

The original Asharq Al-Aswat report reads:

Israel has expanded the scope of its Iranian targets in Iraq and Syria, western diplomatic sources told Asharq Al-Awsat amid reports that Tel Aviv carried out an airstrike earlier this month against an Iranian rockets depot northeast of Baghdad.

The July 19 attack was carried out by an Israeli F-35 fighter jet, they added.

On Sunday, the Ashraf base in Iraq, a former base used by the Iranian opposition People’s Mujahedin of Iran, was targeted by an air raid, said sources.

The base lies 80 kilometers from the border with Iran and 40 kilometers northeast of Baghdad.

The sources revealed that the strikes targeted Iranian “advisors” and a ballistic missile shipment that had recently arrived from Iran to Iraq.

Last week, Syria’s Tal al-Hara was struck by Israeli jets.

The diplomatic sources said the attack targeted Iran’s attempt to seize control of the strategic hill, located in Daraa countryside in southern Syria.

The above F-35 promotion then goes on to laud the Israeli Arrows-3 air defense missile the U.S. paid for.

Of the three incidents Asharq Al-Awsat mentions only one, in Syria, really happened.

On July 19 a fire broke out at a camp of the 16th Brigade of the Iraqi Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF). It set off some ammunition. The 16th is a light infantry brigade. It does not have ballistic missiles. While the incident was first reported as a missile attack, an investigation later said (Arabic) that the fire was caused by a defect of some equipment (machine translation)

The Central Commission of Inquiry sent by the People’s Assembly on Sunday announced the results of the investigation into the bombing of the Martyrs’ Camp of the Commission, which is located near the city of Ameri.

The report of the specialized committee confirmed that the investigations conducted have proved that the explosion was not a military target as a result of a plane or a guided missile, but was a fire of solid fuel due to an internal defect.

No one was killed in the incident.

The alleged attack on Sunday never happened:

TØM CΛT @TomtheBasedCat – 17:29 UTC · Jul 30, 2019

The Camp Ashraf incident was nothing more than a rumor that started on Facebook. It’s not even called Ashraf anymore, the base is named after the Brigade 27 commander who was Martyred in Diyala battles.

Saudis hard at work creating Fake News.

It is not the Saudis that created this fake news but the “western diplomatic sources”, aka the Israeli ambassador in London, who briefed the Asharq Al-Awsat writer.

The third incident, in Syria, did happen:

Syria’s state media said on Wednesday an Israeli missile attack had targeted the country’s southern province of Daraa, but did not report any casualties.

State news agency SANA and state TV added that the “Israeli aggression” struck Tal al-Hara hill that is home to Syrian army posts adding that it only caused material damage.

The Tal al-Hara hill, a strategic area overlooking the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, was for many years a major Russian military radar outpost until rebels took it over in 2014 before it was again recaptured by the Syrian army last year.

Israel did not hit any Iranian targets or anything else in Iraq. The Asharq Al-Awsat story is pure propaganda.

If the Israeli air force were stupid enough to bomb targets in Iraq, it would likely see consequences that it would not like:

TØM CΛT @TomtheBasedCat – 18:08 UTC · Jul 30, 2019

And besides

If Israel really wants to waste their time and resources striking sites in Iraq, by all means.

They’ll only accelerate the decision as to whether or not to purchase the S-400 system.

There are plenty of Air Defense Officers who are already fluent in Russian.

This article was originally published by “Moon Of Alabama” – 

Do you agree or disagree? Post your comment here

==See Also==

Israel to conduct new offensives in Iraq soon: “Israel has expanded its area of ??control against the Iranian presence in Syria, Lebanon and Iraq,” while indicated that it will conduct further strikes soon on Iranian sites in Iraq.

Hezbollah Missiles Will Lay Heavy Siege to ‘Israel’ during Upcoming War: Zionist Analysts

Hezbollah Missiles Will Lay Heavy Siege to ‘Israel’ during Upcoming War: Zionist Analysts

July 29, 2019

The Zionist media outlets continued assessing the dimensions of the potential military confrontation with Hezbollah, highlighting the destructive capabilities of the resistance group’s missile arsenal.

The Israeli analysts stressed that the ‘home front’ is unable to cope with the rocket fire which will cause massive destruction across the entity, adding that ‘Israel’ will be besieged as airports and seaports will be struck.

The analysts added that the Lebanese can be more steadfast than the Israelis who will lose the main services (electricity, internet, …) during any upcoming war because of Hezbollah rockets, stressing that the ZIonist anti-missile systems are unable to cope with this threat.

Source: Al-Manar English Website

Related Videos

Related News

 

أكاذيب نتن ياهو الصاروخية وظنوا أنهم مانعتهم حصونهم!

 

يوليو 29, 2019

محمد صادق الحسيني

أعلن بنيامين نتنياهو أمس أنّ «إسرائيل» قد أجرت اختباراً صاروخياً سرياً وخارقاً، خلال الأسابيع الماضية في ألاسكا، لمنظومة Resistance، وهي الجيل الجديد من هذا النظام الصاروخي الفاشل.

وفِي ظلّ موجة الأكاذيب التي أطلقها نتن ياهو ومدير شركة الصناعات الجوية «الإسرائيلية»، بهذه المناسبة، فلا بدّ أن يتمّ توضيح بعض التفاصيل المهمة في هذا المجال:

1 ـ نقول لهذا العنصري المغرور انّ هذا النظام ليس سرياً وليس خارقاً كما تدّعي، وإنما هو نظام صاروخي جري تطويره من قبل شركة بوينغ الأميركية، في إطار الخطط الأميركية لإقامة درع صاروخي مضادّ للصواريخ. كما انّ برنامج تطوير وتصنيع هذا النظام قد تمّ تمويله، بنسبة 80 من قبل الولايات المتحدة، علماً انّ تكاليف البرنامج قد وصلت الى مليارين وأربعمائة مليون دولار حتى الآن، دفعت منها الولايات المتحدة 80 أيّ حوالي ملياري دولار.

2 ـ يُضاف الى ذلك انّ بيانات وزارة «الدفاع الإسرائيلية» نفسها قد أكدت انّ تجربة هذا النظام قد تمّ تأجيلها، في شهر أيار 2018، بسبب مشاكل فنية يجب إيجاد الحلول المناسبة لها قبل تنفيذ التجربة.

كما أعلنت الوزارة نفسها انّ تجربة «ناجحة» قد أجريت، على هذا النظام الصاروخي، في شهر كانون الثاني/ يناير 2019 في «وسط إسرائيل»، فما الحاجة إذن إلى إجراء تجارب سرية وخارقة في ولاية ألاسكا الأميركية، بعد إعلان وزارة الحرب الإسرائيلية في مرتين على الأقلّ، عن إجراء تأجيل ثم تجريب لهذا النظام؟

3 ـ انّ ما جرى في ألاسكا ليس سوى حملة تضليل، للرأي العام الإسرائيلي قبل كلّ شيء، يمارسها نتن ياهو، في إطار حملته الانتخابية. وهي جزء من أعماله «الطرزانية» كسرقة الأرشيف النووي الإيراني من طهران وغير ذلك من الأكاذيب.

4 ـ وللمزيد من التوضيح والدقة، فإننا نقول إنه وحتى لأسباب فنية، فلا داعي لإجراء تجربة ميدانية على هذا النظام في ألاسكا الأميركية، خاصة أنّ محطات الرادار، من طراز AN / TPY 2، اللازمة لتشغيل هذا النظام موجودة في قاعدة تل شاحار Tal Shahar القريبة من بلدة بيت شيمش، غربي القدس، والتي ستكون مقرّ أربع بطاريات لهذا النوع من الصواريخ، التي سيتمّ إخفاؤها داخل دشم محصّنة في التلال المحيطة بالقاعدة.

علماً انّ خبراء ومحللين عسكريين إسرائيليين قد أكدوا انّ أنظمة الرادار الأميركية، المشار اليها أعلاه، قد تمّ استخدامها فعلاً عندما أجريت تجربة هذا النظام في شهر كانون الثاني/ يناير 2019. وعليه فلا داعي مطلقاً للذهاب الى ألاسكا لإجراء مثل هكذا تجارب.

5 ـ انها مناورة جديدة وحملة غش وخداع يمارسه هذا الغوغائي، مستغلاً قيام إيران بتنفيذ تجربة على صاروخ حربي متوسط المدى قبل أيّام، الأمر الذي لا يتعدّى كونه إجراءً روتينياً، في إطار تجارب تنفذ على صواريخ دفاعية محدودة المدى. الأمر الذي يجعل نتن ياهو محطاً للسخرية، لدى الخبراء العسكريين، بمن فيهم الإسرائيليون، وذلك عندما يحاول الإيحاء، للجمهور الإسرائيلي والرأي العام الدولي، انه أصبح رامبو هذا العصر وقادر على التصدّي للصواريخ الحربية البعيدة المدى خارج الغلاف الجوي.

6 ـ ولا بدّ، في هذا السياق، من الإشارة الى ما نشره الصحافي الإسرائيلي، يانوف كوبوفيتش Yanov Kobuvic على موقع صحيفة «هآرتس» الإسرائيلية، بعيد ظهر أمس، حول «صواريخ نتن ياهو الساحقة والخارقة»، حيث قال: «انّ من المحتمل ان يساعد هذا النظام الصاروخي الجديد الجيش الإسرائيلي على مواجهة بعض التحديات الأكثر تعقيداً».

وهذا يعني انّ تصريحات رئيس شركة الصناعات العسكرية الإسرائيلية، المتساوقة مع تصريحات وتبجحات نتن ياهو، التي أشار فيها الى فرضية ان يكون هذا النظام قادراً على إسقاط أقمار صناعية، ليست إلا هراءً لا يستند الى أية حقائق عملية.

7 ـ الأهمّ من ذلك كله هو انّ ما يهدّد وجود الدولة العبرية ليست الأقمار الصناعية السعودية او الإماراتية مثلاً، بل انّ ما يهدّد هذا الوجود هو قوات حلف المقاومة الموجودة على بعد كيلومترات قليلة من قلب هذا الكيان، سواء على الجبهة السورية أو اللبنانية أو على جبهة قطاع غزة. وهذا ما يعلمه نتن ياهو وجنرالات الجيش الإسرائيلي تماماً، وهو الأمر الذي يخلق لهم الأرق الدائم والأزمة والتحدي الاستراتيجي الأكبر.

8 ـ ولهذا السبب بالذات قام الجيش الإسرائيلي، ومن خلال تعاونه مع مجموعات مسلحة، أنشأها وسلّحها وأدارها عبر غرفة عمليات الموك في عمّان، نقول انّ هذا الجيش حاول السيطرة على قطاع الجولان ومحافظة درعا، وقام بتدمير قواعد الدفاع الجوي السوري ليس في هذه المناطق فقط وإنما في كلّ مكان دخلته العصابات المسلحة في كلّ الأراضي السورية، وذلك بسبب الكابوس الذي يعيشه هذا الجيش من جراء الانكشاف الاستراتيجي الذي تعيشه «الدولة» التي يتدثر بها او يتغطى بها هذا الجيش.

ذلك الانكشاف الذي يتمثل في كون مدينة الناصرة المحتلة مثلاً لا تبعد عن مواقع الجيش السوري وقوات حلف المقاومة في منطقة اليرموك سوى 45 كم. كما انّ هذه المواقع لا تبعد عن حيفا ويافا أكثر من ستين كيلومتراً وهي مسافة لا تحتاج الى صواريخ بعيدة المدى يتمّ التصدي لها من خلال صواريخ نتن ياهو الكاذبة، التي تسمّى «حيتس 3»، وهي ليست بحاجة إلا لوثبات أسود كي يصلوا الى عمق الجليل الفلسطيني من جنوب لبنان، وصولاً الى الناصرة والعفولة حيث سيلتقون بقية القوات المتقدّمة من جنوب وشمال بحيرة طبرية، لمواصلة الزحف الى جنين شمال الضفة الغربية جنوباً والى عكا وحيفا شمالاً.

9 ـ أما إذا قال قائل بأنّ هذا الكلام لا يتعدّى كونه ضرباً من الخيال فإننا لا ننصحه إلا بالعودة الى أرشيف وزارة الحرب الإسرائيلية ليتعرّف على النقاط التي وصلتها قوات الجيش السوري، خلال حرب تشرين 1973، حيث وصلت وبكلّ بساطة الى خطوط الهدنة لسنة 1948، بعد ان كانت قد أعادت تحرير هضبة الجولان بالكامل، وذلك قبل ان يبدأ الهجوم الإسرائيلي المعاكس يوم 21/10/1973، وبغطاء جوي أميركي أوروبي كامل، شاركت فيه مائتا طائرة فانتوم، لا تحمل شارات سلاح الجو الإسرائيلي وكانت قد نقلت على عجل من القواعد الأميركية والأوروبية في الولايات المتحدة وأوروبا، وذلك بعد ان خسرت إسرائيل 303 طائرات على الجبهة المصرية و 120 طائرة على الجبهة السورية.

ذلك الهجوم الإسرائيلي المعاكس الذي بدأته «إسرائيل» بعمليات إنزال جوي كثيف جداً، وبغطاء جوي من قبل طائرات الفانتوم الأميركية التي كان يقودها طيارون أميركيون وأوروبيون، على مراصد جبل الشيخ التي كان الجيش  السوري قد حرّرها في اليوم الأول للحرب، وما تبع ذلك من تطويرللهجوم الجوي والبري الإسرائيلي، الذي كان المستشارون العسكريون السوفيات، ومن أبرزهم العقيد طيار يوري كوزين، يسجلون وقائعه لحظة بلحظة ويتخذون الإجراءات اللازمة لوقفه، بما في ذلك تعويض سلاح الجو وسلاح المدرّعات السورية عن الخسائر التي لحقت بهما، وذلك عبر جسر جوي ضخم إقامته القيادة السوفياتية آنذاك.

علماً انّ هذا الهجوم المعاكس قد تواصل بضراوة، رغم كلّ الجهد السوري للتصدّي له جواً وبراً، طوال أيّام 21 و 22 و 23 و 24 تشرين الأول 1973، خاصة بعد وقف إطلاق النار على الجبهة المصرية والذي تمّ دون التنسيق مع القيادة السورية.

10 ـ في الخلاصة فإنّ منظومات «حيتس 3» لن تكون قادرة على حماية تل أبيب، لا من صواريخ الجيش السوري ولا من صواريخ قوات حلف المقاومة في الشمال وفي قطاع غزة، والدليل الأكبر على ذلك هو فشل كلّ منظومات الدفاع الصاروخي، الموجودة بحوزة الجيش الإسرائيلي، في التصدي لصواريخ المقاومة الفلسطينية، التي أطلقت من قطاع غزة، خلال العدوان الأخير على القطاع، أواخر العام الماضي. وما على المتابع إلا العودة ليوميات العدوان وتوسّلات نتن ياهو للقيادة المصرية بالتدخل لدى المقاومة الفلسطينية لوقف إطلاق النار.

وما يمكرون إلا بأنفسهم وما يشعرون.

بعدنا طيّبين قولوا الله…

Related Videos

Related News

%d bloggers like this: